Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: AG question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member wesew4's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2004
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Since I'm new to AG I'm wondering has the dolls and accessories ever been sold anywhere but the AG stores? Not the books. I thought at one time Haines & Esseck in my town were selling them. I really wish they would let some stores sell them for those of us who can't get to C or NY. I would love to see everything in person not just a catalog, internet or ebay. If they don't sell anywhere else does anyone know why?

  2. #2
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Smile

    I'm not sure why they don't have anyone else retailing or wholesaling their items unless it is a matter of wanting to keep AG exclusive and more expensive [img]wink.gif[/img] Other than books and the hair and craft kits, I've never seen AG products sold anywhere except directly from the company or ebay.

    Kim

  3. #3
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    I also was a liitle worried and wanted to "See" the dolls for myself before I bought one. AG assured me that I could always return it if I was unhappy. I was still not all that interested in buying without seeing.

    However, later I bought my daughter her first doll and was totally happy with the quality and the beauty of the dolls. Emmy was my first doll and I had bought Kirsten for Marina.

    I don't know why AG doesn't sell away from the retail locations they have. I think I am glad for it. It keeps the image of AG pure I guess. I am not quite sure how to explain it. The price is higher and the quality better but if you want the dolls you always know where to go or what is in store for you. I can't say that about my local shops.

    I did have a store here locally that at one point carried some of the dolls and other items made for them. I did see them in there at one point and was freaked that they could sell them for half again the price to people who just wanted to "see" the dolls and then buy. They never did bother to tell the buyers they could get them online or by catalog. Disgusting leeches they were. They are no longer in buisness BTW.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member annkirstin's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by LoveMyEmmy:
    I did have a store here locally that at one point carried some of the dolls and other items made for them. I did see them in there at one point and was freaked that they could sell them for half again the price to people who just wanted to "see" the dolls and then buy.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They must've been selling them secondhand, because AG does not license, and never has licensed, anyone else to sell their dolls & doll accessories (aside of course from the mini dolls and the books). Even though it would be nice sometimes to be able to drive to a local store and pick up AG items, I too like the idea of AG only being sold in AG stores. AG items just seem like items that belong in an AG-only store. Keeps them special, I think. But there should be more stores for the people nowhere near NY or Chicago.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 28, 2004 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Ann, Samantha fan ]</font>

  5. #5
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Boy do I second that! I, too, like them to be exclusive to AG, but do I ever wish they had a store closer to us. Both Chicago and NY are 1200 miles from us and we just can't see spending the money for airfare, etc., just to shop (Yes, DH xnayed the trip to NY [img]frown.gif[/img] ). They could really use a store in CA and one in Atlanta would even be good for us. Orlando would be even better.

    Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like the stores being exclusive, but I wouldn't mind seeing maybe 2 others so that they'd be closer to other people in the country. I don't want to see them in every Walmart or TRU, I think it would diminish their quality to really mass produce like that would require.

    I think that once you take the plunge and get a doll, dress, or accessory you can see the quality and then continue to buy in good faith from there.

    I know I am still extremely excited to touch and feel for myself tomorrow though!

    Laurie

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ubarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2003
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The answer to every business decision is simple - profits. AG makes more money direct mail order than they could if they sold wholesale to another retailer. Remember, if they sold to another retailer, they would hve to sell at wholesale, which would need to be at least half the retail price.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member wesew4's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2004
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everyone makes since I'd just love to see everything in person. And I only live 3 to 4 hours from C, but my poor H gets lost in town. Still trying to convince him we can always take the train from Bloomington. He wants to make sure everything is safe.

  9. #9
    AngieGill
    Guest AngieGill's Avatar

    Post

    I like having to wait for my dollies in the mail. I feel like a little girl again waiting for my birthday or Christmas. It adds to the fun of getting the doll when you have to wait and look for that big brown truck every day until she comes.. LOL!

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm going to shock everyone and say that I wish they didn't even have stores. [img]redface.gif[/img] I'm remembering back to when they were available through the catalog exclusively, and how magical that was to little girls! It's almost like looking in a story book and realizing you can have any item that appears in that story book, but that you can't get it or see it anywhere before you finally buy it...it kind of makes it more exciting. American Girl was a special, almost magical, company... the only place you could get these things.

    I'm not a big fan of mass commercializion, so it has been hard for me to see Coconut appear in Hallmark, the miniature dolls, and Angelina dolls in bookstores, the American Girl Places, and Samantha having a movie. While I like being able to see some of the items in person, it seems to diminish some of the magic when the items show up in stores or on television. It also seems to be quite a departure from what Pleasant T. Rowland envisioned with her catalog-exclusive lines, even though it seems she played a part in some of these decisions before leaving (?).

    It seems to me a lot of these decisions are tied in with instant gratification. We live in an instant gratification society where people want things right away and buy things on impulse. I think American Girl has changed with the times in order to allow people the instant gratification that they want. I have to plead guilty here since when I see good AG deals at Sam's Club it is hard to resist them!

    I wouldn't say that only the miniature dolls are sold in stores. Coconut and Angelina (and her friends and puppet) dolls are also available in bookstores; Sam's Club has sold their CD-Rom, CD, calendars, and wire wig hairbrush with hair accessories. So some AG items--which don't differ from what is available through the catalog--are available in mass market retail. To me it seems only a step away from the American Girl line following suit, especially since Coconut is technically an AG accessory. However, I'm hopeful it won't happen. (We need a crossing fingers graemlin! [img]wink.gif[/img] )

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ August 28, 2004 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •